Opinions about what knowledge and skills should be the future first-grader, from different teachers significantly vary a lot. But still there is a certain minimum requirements for knowledge of future first-graders.
They need to know first:
- clearly know the basic colors and shades;
- know and name geometric shapes: square, rectangle, circle, oval, triangle, rhombus, trapezoid, parallelogram, hexagon;
- to discern where “left”and where ”right”;
- doing the job on a defined pattern;
- to count from 1 to 20 and in reverse order;
- know the alphabet and to distinguish between vowels and consonants;
- to understand where on the sheet, “center”, “upper right”, “upper left corner”, “the lower right corner and lower left corner;
- know the days of the week, as well as “working” and “weekend” days, months and seasons;
- clearly know the names of all family members, the address of residence.
If a future first-grader does not know or have any difficulties in some moments, it only means that there is something to pay special attention to before enrolling in school.
A short quiz to test knowledge, which will allow to learn whether the child is ready for school:
1. Name your last name, first name and patronymic.
2. How old are you? How much was a year ago? How many will be in a year?
3. What is the surname, name, patronymic do your parents have?
4. Where do you live: country, city, street, house number and apartment, the floor?
5. In the afternoon have lunch and in the morning?
6. Compare the butterfly and the plane. What are the differences and what they have in common?
7. Hockey, basketball, Boxing, gymnastics - what is it?
8. Compare the square and the rectangle. What they have in common? What is different from the circle?
9. Maple, chestnut, spruce, pine - what is it and what are their differences?
10. Call of wild and domestic animals. How do they differ?
11. The horse is a foal, and who have cows, dogs, chicken?
12. What birds migrate, and which are not? How they are called?
For the correct answer gets one point for an incorrect zero. If the child scored five or more points, it is safe to say that he was inwardly prepared for school.
The questions that were confusing, should pay more attention.
Another variant of the requirements of teachers in the knowledge and skills of the future first-graders:
What must first grader:
- to call numbers in direct and reverse order;
- correct use of cardinal and ordinal numeral;
- to equalize the unequal number of items in different ways (add and subtract);
- to put into words, what more is less, longer - shorter, higher or lower, wider - already;
- to distinguish the form of objects, to name shapes: circle, triangle, rectangle, square, oval;
- divide the shape into 2 and 4 equal parts.
Your child should know and be able to:
- to Express the location of objects relative to the other;
- to distinguish and name the parts of the day, their sequence;
- know the days of the week the order;
- know and name the months of the year;
- to understand the meaning of "yesterday", "today", "tomorrow";
- to call the seasons;
- to be aware of the seasonal changes in nature;
- to determine the state of the weather: Sunny, cloudy, windy, rainy...
- to distinguish and identify trees by leaves or fruits;
- keep the pencil, paintbrush, and use them;
- use clay, plasticine;
- to properly hold the scissors and use them;
- to divide words into syllables;
- make words from syllables;
- to align words in gender, number and case;
- retell familiar stories and short stories;
- to write stories and tales from the pictures.
- If your child has had an idea about his family, the professions of their parents; to correctly pronounce all the sounds of the native language; could be called: the country in which he lives and its capital; the Russian flag; the name of his native town, village, his address.
To physically prepare your child for school classes can be pre - jump on the soft floor height up to 40 cm; jump from a height of 40 cm; jump in length, with a space of at least 100 cm, with a run - 180 cm in height with a running start is not less than 50 cm; jumping rope; to throw beach balls; hurl objects with the left and right hand at a distance of 5-12 m
Encourage your toddler to elementary rules before school!
- be the first to greet;
- politely say goodbye;
- thanks for the assistance;
- speak quietly, not drawing attention to yourself, not to interfere with others;
- politely request;
- not to interrupt the speaker;
- not to interfere in the conversation elders;
- to comply with the order, cleanliness.
You need to pass the child basic knowledge of the behavior on the road:
- to distinguish between the carriageway, pavement;
- to understand the meaning of traffic signals;
- know the rules of the road;
- walk only on sidewalks and walkways, keeping to the right;
- not to play on the carriageway.
The level of readiness of the child for school, you can check like this:
Test for parents
1. The child wants to go to school?
2. Does your child's school that he was there about a lot of things and learns he will be interested to learn?
3. Does your child engage in any business that requires concentration for 30 minutes (for example, to work with the designer)?
4. Your child is in the presence of strangers feels free, uncomplexed?
5. Your child can make a picture story, not less than five sentences?
6. If he could recite a few poems?
7. Can modify nouns numbers?
8. Your child can read by syllables or, better, whole words?
9. If he knew how to count to ten in reverse order?
10. Can solve simple problems on subtracting or adding one?
11. Has a solid hand (confidently holds the pencil and so on)?
12. Loves to draw and paint pictures?
13. Does your child use scissors and glue (for example, make application)?
14. May collect cut the picture of the five parts in one minute?
15. Knows the names of wild and domestic animals?
16. Can generalize the concepts (for example, be described by one word "vegetables - tomatoes, carrots, onions)?
17. Does your child to work independently - to draw, to complete the puzzle and so on?
18. Can understand and accurately perform the verbal instructions?
The result of the test depends on the number of positive answers ("Yes") on the test questions.
15-18 points - the child is ready for school;
10-14 points - child much already knows, and you should pay attention to the content of those questions to which you answered "No". They will tell you what you need to work on.
9 and less points you need to refer to specialists, the child needs significant attention and work with him.
And finally, can offer some criteria child's readiness for school adapted from Russia tests developed by American psychologists:
Assessment of cognitive development
- Does the child basic concepts: right-left, big-small, etc?
- Can the child understand the elementary principles of classification, for example: things that can roll, and which can't?
- Can a baby to hold in memory and to perform at least three instructions?
- Can the child to identify most of the letters of the alphabet?
Evaluation of basic experience of the child
- Did the child to accompany you to the store, post office, savings Bank?
- Whether he was in the library?
- Did you have regular opportunities to read to the baby or tell stories?
- Does the child take an interest in something, does he have any Hobbies?
Assessment of language development
- Can the child identify and define the major surrounding objects?
- Is it easy for the child to answer questions from adults?
- Can the child explain what are different things: a vacuum cleaner, refrigerator, Desk, etc.?
- Can the child explain, where there are some items on the table, on the chair, on the floor, walls and the like?
- Can the child tell a story, describe what happened with him just in case?
- Clearly if the child pronounces words?
- Correct your child's speech from the point of view of grammar?
- Can a child to participate in a single conversation, to play any situation?
Assessment of the level of emotional development
- Looks like Lee child fun (at home and among friends)?
- Formed if the child self-image as a person that much?
- Is it easy baby "switch" changes in the usual routine, go to the next task?
- Can the child to work independently, to compete in activities with other children?
Assessment of ability to communicate
- Does the child play with other children, share with them?
- Does he order when the situation requires it?
- Can a child to listen to others without interrupting?
Assessment of physical development
- Well if your child hears?
- Well if he sees?
- Is he able to sit quietly for some time?
- Developed if he had the coordination of motor skills, for example, can he play ball, jump, and climb the stairs?
- Does the child cheerful and enthusiastic?
- Does the child is healthy, well-fed and well-rested?
- Can the child identify similar and dissimilar forms? For example, find picture, different from the rest?
- Can the child to identify the letters and short words, such as b-p, côte year?
- Can the child to notice the lack of pictures, if they first show a series of three pictures, and then one to remove?
- Does the child's own name and at least six to eight names of things that occur to him in everyday life?
- Can a child be put in order (in sequence) a series of pictures?
- Does the child that read left to right?
The level of hearing ability
- If the child is to distinguish words that begin with different sounds, such as forest-weight?
- Can the child to repeat for adults a few words or numbers?
- Can the child to retell the story, keeping the main idea and sequence of actions?
Assessment of relationship books
- Occurs if the child has a desire to look at books independently?
- Carefully whether and with pleasure he listens when you read it aloud?
- Specifies whether the child questions about the words, what they mean etc?
General and psychological readiness
Does your child:
- To explain with words, and not pointing what he wants?
- To speak coherently, for example, "show me..."
- To understand the meaning of what he read?
- Clearly pronounce your name?
- Memorize your address and phone number?
- To write with a pencil or chalk on paper?
- Use paints, clay, crayons, markers?
- Cut with scissors with blunt ends, and smooth and not someone who is pricked?
- Listen and follow the instructions?
- Be careful when someone talks to him?
- Focus at least ten minutes to perform the above task?
- Be glad when he read aloud or tell stories?
- Appreciate: I'm the man that much?
- "Tune out"when adults change the subject?
- Show interest in others of his subjects?
- To get along with other children?
Your relationship with your child, your role in preparing for study
(it is important to answer honestly even before him)
- Do you like your baby?
- Do you listen to what the child says?
- Do you look at the kid when he speaks to you?
- Whether you're looking to create in the child a sense of what he says?
- Correct if you are talking baby?
- Do you allow the child to make mistakes?
- Praise whether you're a kid, hugging him?
- Laugh if you with him?
- Do you get each day, the time for reading to the child and conversations with him?
- Do you play with your baby in any games?
- Do you encourage the interests and Hobbies of the child?
- Whether the baby is at least one or two of his own books?
- What is the child's home place, which is given only to him?
- Do you apply the baby example, reading Newspapers, magazines, books, generally interested in other events?
- Do you discuss with your baby and the whole family something interesting from read or heard of you?
- Do you tell all for the baby before he has time to open his mouth, in a shop or at a dentist?
- Whether you are watching TV with your child?
- Whether you ask your child questions about the meaning of what they saw on TV?
- Limit if you child watch TV?
- Do you walk with your baby for a walk?
- Are you going to bring the child to the zoo, theater, Museum?